Bact Acid FLA is a non-corrosive dry Organic Acid blend. The unique properties of the product are the capabilities to supply different Organic Acids together with Available Calcium at a low pH (10% solution in water: pH is 3.5 – 4.5). Therefore feed mills don’t need to add (or add less) basic – high pH - calcium sources like limestone (Calcium Carbonate) to the diet, which would make the acid’s antibacterial activity much lower (up to 80% less activity compared to Bact Acid FLA).
The product lowers the Buffering Capacity (‘Acid Binding Capacity’) of the Feed, in two ways: By supplying low pH Organic Acids and replacing of the buffering limestone in the feed.
Bact Acid FLA lowers the pH of feed by 1 to 2 pH points, which has great effects on chicken’s health status.
The reason for its high activity is that Organic Acids can only enter a bacterial cell in their non-dissociated form - which means below their pKa - at a pH range from 3.75 to 4.75 in case of Formic Acid, Lactic Acid and Acetic Acid. Only in the molecular form, which is the so called non-dissociated form, an Organic Acid is able to donate a H+ ion in a bacterial cell (e.g. Salmonella) and thus destroy the bacterial cell (Russell, 1992). Therefore our customers gain much financial benefit by using Organic Acids based on a Calcium Citrate carrier – compared to either liquid acid mixtures or silica carrier based acids, which still need limestone to be added to the animal feed.
Furthermore, Bact Acid FLA has no pungent smell and will only be active (100%) in a humid surrounding (e.g. the animal feed, or the crop and gizzard of the chicken). The strong antibacterial function of the product results in improved health status and better performance of the animal.
Because of the broad spectrum of Organic Acids and the synergistic effect of Orthophosphoric acid (which lowers the pH of the blend even below the pKa of the Organic Acids), a maximum anti-bacterial effect will be obtained, whilst no harm is done to beneficial bacteria such as Lactobacilli and Bifido bacteria.
Trials results of Bact Acid FLA are available upon request.
Bact Acid FLA advantages are:
- A highly concentrated product, containing both Organic Acids and an organic calcium carrier (available calcium) of totally more than 85% active substance.
- An economical anti-bacterial solution against gram-negative bacteria.
- Reduction of the passage rate and elimination of E-Coli and Salmonella in the feed and the GIT of the animal.
- Lowering the buffering capacity of the feed.
- Lowering the crop and gizzard pH, which results in better hygiene and protein digestibility.
- Increases pancreatic enzyme activity.
- Prevention of the formation of toxic metabolites (endotoxins and exotoxins).